How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill F. Your Own Question
Bill F.
Bill F., Paralegal
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2243
Experience:  State Paralegal - 10 Years Hands on Legal Experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Bill F. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i just relocated from living overseas in Australia. I had ...

Resolved Question:

i just relocated from living overseas in Australia. I had several bills that have not been forwarded to me in 6 months, so I owe a bunch of money that hasnt been paid and the companies probably thing I am ignoring them, and would like to know the laws regarding their collecting from me here in the USA?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Bill F. replied 9 years ago.

If a company from another country wants to collect a legitimate bill from you then they will need to hire a US collections attorney to do so. If they do, then the US collections laws would go into affect. If you have committed fraud in your country by failing to pay your bills and those companies choose to go after you here in the US then the US can participate in any criminal action as far as having you arrested and extradited (just giving you the worst case scenario). If you had every intention of paying the bills after you left you should go ahead and do that and if you hadn't you can wait and see if the companies take any action here in the US (FYI many US collection attorneys accept the work on a fee recovery basis - meaning if they take the bill to collect they keep a high percentage of what they collect - therefor the US collection attorneys have an incentive to go after the money in any way possible).

Good luck. If you have any other related questions please let me know. If you found this answer helpful please accept so I can continue to help others like you in the future. Thank you.


Bill F. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you