How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J D Haas Your Own Question
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2998
Experience:  21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials
Type Your Legal Question Here...
J D Haas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My former businesss bank is trying to hold me

This answer was rated:

My former business''s bank is trying to hold me responsible for the credit card debt of the man I sold the business to, who is my former manager. As evidence, they''ve sent me the application I made for a credit card for a previous business in 1995 which I signed as a personal guaranty. That application had one business name, Riley''s, and associated checking account number. Another piece of evidence is a letter I wrote with a different business name, Crowbar, Inc., and checking account number to them 7 years later requesting a credit card for my manager at the time who later bought that business from me. On the original application there was obviously no credit card account number, but there is one referenced in the letter from 7 years later. I am unsure if these are the same accounts, so am i responsible for the debt, when I announced to the bank in 2004 that I was no longer responsible for anything to do with the business and changed the Inc. checking account to the new owner?
Your announcement to the bank in 2004 is an appropriate step. Your liability will be determined by the account in question. Demand the account application. Demand that the bank provide you with a legal basis for their claim that you have personal liability on the credit card. Demand all the information in their possession that tie you to the credit card account. If they cannot provide information then they will have a hard time proving it.

You should consult with a California debtor attorney or contract attorney and provide the lawyer with all of your documents connecting you to the account. You can find them by an internet search: California debtor/contract lawyer/attorney". Best wishes.

I hope that I have helped, answered all of your questions, and that I have provided you with useful information. Please contact me if I have not answered all of your questions. If my answer is satisfactory please accept it. I really appreciate positive feedback.

In the future, you can specifically request that I work with you on your legal question. If you have specifically requested that I answer this question, thank you.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm.

J D Haas and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you