How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Specializing in all aspects of law including Family, Real Estate, Employment and Consumer Protection
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 46 years old and divorced. She had ...

Resolved Question:

My daughter is 46 years old and divorced. She had developed a by-polar sitution after hhaving cancer. She lost custody of her 2 children (14 & 17) now and gave up her equity for to supplement her X with the children.I as grandparent have been supporting her and the kids for the past years. The equity in the home was used for a new home for theXs new wife. Now all the responsibility has fallen on me . Do I have a way to protect the kids either financially, inforcing the X to continue under the divorce aggeement? What a mess?   LJS
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Who was granted custody of the children?

Who are the children living with now?

Is either parent paying child support to the other?

What stipulations are you wanting the X to continue under the agreement?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Husband X

That is a lot of the problem-because the oldest wants the freedom and extra funds-cheerleader etc that her dad can not provide at private school-I get the bill. She stays most of the time with mom. The youngest is back and forth.

The original decree, as I mentioned , gave the equity in the home to X because at the time she was not physically able to take care, She is now working a minimum job and has medicine to control the bypolar. Thank God her cancer has not returned.

To pay for the schooling and have a better control of their spending habits. I guess most of this is my fault,my wife died before my daughters cancer and I felt an obligation





ed prior the daughters cancer, and I felt a need to take care.

Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Unless the original order stipulated the father must pay for extra school or extra curricular activity's then by law he is not required to do so. A parent has the right to refuse to pay for anything other then basic educational needs. He could by law put her in public school if available and refuse to pay for private school unless it was court ordered.

As for the spending habits of the children, you can not force him to change their habits. Since he has custody of the children he can raise them as he sees fit as long as he is not harming or neglecting the children.

I wish I had better news, but the reality of the situation is you are not required to pay anything as you are not the father or mother. It sounds like the X is taking advantage of the situation and that maybe something you put a end to. Just because you are not paying for these things doesn't mean you can not help out if you wish. You could consider opening up savings accounts for the children if you wish to do something that they can not access until they are of age.


Walter and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you