How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I do about these false harassment charges

This answer was rated:

I live in Indiana, and fell in love online with a young woman from Minnesota. Now, she is accusing me of harassment, and most of her allegations are exaggerated at best, XXXXX XXXXX are either false, or non-issues. She says that by going to Winona, doing a background check, sending her gifts, and telling her that I love her, I''ve followed, pursued, or stalked her. She also claims that I frightened her with threatening behavior by going to Winona, even though we never actually met. She also claims that I took pictures of her. But, by this she means I clicked and saved her profile picture from Facebook, drew a sketch based off of it, and posted the sketch online, all without her permission.. Her final complaint is that I wrote numerous E-mails to her (which she has also written many to me) and wrote several poems using her name without her permission. I wrote many poems about her, (love poems) but only ONE contained any elements of her name. (First and middle names ONLY)

DearCustomer- If she has actually filed criminal charges against you I would strongly advise you to hire an attorney at once. If she is simply making accusations I would ignore it and definitely stop having any contact whatsoever with her. Based on what you say in your question and facts it would appear that this person doesn't want to have contact with you which is her right.

If you simply stop all contact I don't believe she will further pursue any harassment charges and all of this will go away. It doesn't sound like you have broken any laws so far but if you keep contacting her after she has tole you to stop then you could get into trouble.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dave Kennett's Post: I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. (My fault, sorry.) She has made these accusations in a restraining order, which she filed with the Third District Court in Winona, MN, in a sworn affidavit.

Well then if she is in MN and you are in Indiana then I don't see the problem so long as you have no further contact. The restraining order can stay in effect but if you don't go to MN and don't contact her on the internet then I can't see the problem. There are no criminal charges filed so you have nothing to defend.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you