Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What do I do about these false harassment charges

I live in Indiana, and...
I live in Indiana, and fell in love online with a young woman from Minnesota. Now, she is accusing me of harassment, and most of her allegations are exaggerated at best, XXXXX XXXXX are either false, or non-issues. She says that by going to Winona, doing a background check, sending her gifts, and telling her that I love her, I''ve followed, pursued, or stalked her. She also claims that I frightened her with threatening behavior by going to Winona, even though we never actually met. She also claims that I took pictures of her. But, by this she means I clicked and saved her profile picture from Facebook, drew a sketch based off of it, and posted the sketch online, all without her permission.. Her final complaint is that I wrote numerous E-mails to her (which she has also written many to me) and wrote several poems using her name without her permission. I wrote many poems about her, (love poems) but only ONE contained any elements of her name. (First and middle names ONLY)
1/1/2008
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

DearCustomer- If she has actually filed criminal charges against you I would strongly advise you to hire an attorney at once. If she is simply making accusations I would ignore it and definitely stop having any contact whatsoever with her. Based on what you say in your question and facts it would appear that this person doesn't want to have contact with you which is her right.

If you simply stop all contact I don't believe she will further pursue any harassment charges and all of this will go away. It doesn't sound like you have broken any laws so far but if you keep contacting her after she has tole you to stop then you could get into trouble.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Reply to Dave Kennett's Post: I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. (My fault, sorry.) She has made these accusations in a restraining order, which she filed with the Third District Court in Winona, MN, in a sworn affidavit.

Well then if she is in MN and you are in Indiana then I don't see the problem so long as you have no further contact. The restraining order can stay in effect but if you don't go to MN and don't contact her on the internet then I can't see the problem. There are no criminal charges filed so you have nothing to defend.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)