How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a battery misdemeanor charge from 1991

Customer Question

I have a "battery" misdemeanor charge from 1991 on my record. There were no children involved... a sports bar setting & totally unbelieveable "how did this happen to me" scenario... I was thrown onto the floor by a guy - (I'm female) & came up with arms flailing trying to defend myself - I made physical contact with someone - didn't even see them - Not even the person that was bothering me... another guy went to my rescue, hit the guy that threw me down... I ended up being the only one to show up for court 5 months later... no shock there... anyway, I can't believe that I actualy went all these years actually thinking this case was dismissed - only to find out that it was listed as a battery charge & that I served time... the judge told me I was free to leave & didn't have to do anything... I didn't sign or receive anything. What can I do as far as getting certified to teach in Georgia? Help! This is so unfair... I am not a bad person... will I answer for this forever?!
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer- The only thing I can suggest is to apply to have your record expunged. You will probably need the assistance of an attorney in order to file the proper paperwork. It is generally quite easy to get a record expunged so long as you have not had any subsequent criminal violations since the original one in 1991 or anything prior to that occurrence.

The only other possibility is a pardon from the Governor but that takes forever and is probably more difficult to obtain than an expungement.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law