How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, International HR Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR cer BS, U.S.C. Pueblo; Immigration Law by Am. Mngmnt Association & USCIS Bus. Liaison ofc 1999
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Laws in the state of nebraska regarding verbal ...

This answer was rated:

Laws in the state of nebraska regarding verbal contracts in cohabitation disppute resolutionl Site case president.

Dear lilly,

Nebraska enforces co-habitation agreements, if one exists, both verbal and written. However verbal agreements are hard to enforce for lack of hard evidence. This forces the court to consider equitable distribution of property based on contract law. (there is no such thing as palimony).

SEE: Kinkenon v. Hue, 207 Neb. 698, 301 N.W.2d 77 (1981)

Unfortunately, Nebraska does not recognize cohabitation or common law marriage. There are no STATE or Municiple laws in Nebraska that give any specific rights to a cohabiting couple. Any division of property and settlements would be decided by a cour using common law in regard to contracts.

The case histories in Nebraska are severly liminted with regard to your exact specification of "Verbal" cohabitation contracts. However, consider then, that you have to use other districts common law or case histories. This document has a case which illistrates how the courts treat this issue. The main drive is that verbal contracts are enforceable, and the fact that a person is in an illegal cohabiting relationship, does not invalidate the contract. (query cohabit)


Ed Johnson and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Kinkenon v. Hue, 207 Neb. 698, 301 N.W.2d 77 (1981)
how do i get a copy of this case

DearCustomer more case laws.

You should be able to find a copy of the case from

Else you may have to go to the library and have the librarian help you look it up.

You can also try the U.S. court case histories:


Related Legal Questions