How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jon Your Own Question
Jon, Police or Detective
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 368
Experience:  Certified Police Officer 22 yrs, Certified Polygraph Examinator, Detective 15 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Underage Drinking

This answer was rated:

I have to go to court for an underage drinking offense. I will plead guilty of consumption, but not guilty of possession which I was convicted of. I know I will have to pay a fine, but what about my license? Is it for sure that it will get suspended for 6 months? Is there any way to avoid having my license taken away?
Thank you for your help.

This is going to be an issue, and may be up to the judge. The time to get it ironed out will be at court. Make sure you bring up that issue. Some states require that the license be suspended for a specific period of time, and automatically re-reinstated at the end of that date. Others make you get it reinstated. The only thing I can say is have some reasons ready for you not to have your license suspended. School Job family obligations. Judges will listen to you, if you make a good argument, and there are no other problems in your past, or shortly after court. Don't just say you have issues, be able to give examples. Good luck , if this helps, please hit the accept button.


Jon and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Hi, I am satisifed with the answer but I just have one more question before I accept and pay. I live in NJ (because you said it depends on the state). I never had any other convictions, never even had a ticket for a moving violation. I am a great student. How should I bring up the license conern? Should I just start talking about not having it taken away by myself? Isn't that direspectful to the judge? Should I not wait for him to say something about my license first? Your help is greatly appreciated.

The state and local laws and rules are different. Individual Judges and Magistrates are different. It is not disrespectful to ask a question of the judge or local prosecutor prior to or at during the court proceedings. If it is not brought up, you can bring it up. "Sir or Mame, I am concerned regarding my drivers license. Is the outcome of this case going to affect my ability to drive?" Then go into the issues of school, and such.


Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help, I will surely do that. I am accepting your answer now, & I wish you a happy Labor Day =]

You Too

Good Luck


Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Jon's Post: Hi, I have one more question for you because it came to be a problem between me and my friends. I was only left at the scene with one of them and we both have to go to court. I was charged of possession, but it was not my alcohol nor the other friend's, it was someone else's from the group that ran away. I don't want to give in the other people and get them in trouble, but I also don't want to take that blame for them. Will it matter a lot if I take the blame for possession in the matter of losing my license? What would happen to my friends if I said they were the ones who got it somewhere but I don't know where? Would the judge require me to give the names? What is the best thing to do right now? I care most not to lose my license though.

It won't matter at this point where you got the alcohol, just that you had it. The judge may want to know names, but I doubt if they would go pick them up for it. Just answer the questions that judge asks you and go from there.


Jon and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you