How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guru_Guy Your Own Question
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience:  My specialties include Civil Rights and Constitutional law, as well as general practice issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Guru_Guy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Restore maiden name

Customer Question

I am recently divorced, and in my final decree of divorce, my ex-husband’s lawyers did not restore my maiden name, and I want to change it.
I did not have a lawyer during our divorce.
Before I got married I did not have a middle name, so my last name became my middle name and I took my ex-husband’s last name.
What do I have to do to take of my ex’s last name and have my middle name go back to being my last name????
I hope I did not make this too confusing, I just don’t know how else to explain it.
Thanks for your time
Bibiana Manzur Hamblin.
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 10 years ago.

In Texas, you have fill out a name change form and have it signed by a notary. You then take it to your county court for filing. The Court is mostly concerned that you are not changing your name for any fraudulent purpose. Moving back to a maiden name after a divorce should not be an issue at all.

You can find more detailed instructions here:

I hope this helps!


Please keep in mind that information in this forum is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not constitute creation of an attorney client relationship. Before acting on any such information, you are always advised to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who can take the time to review all the facts and laws relevant to your situation.