Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

Is it illegal to use profanity in public in Virginia

2 young adults were skateboarding in our cul-de-sac and had used a profanity when one of them fell. A neighbor (she) told them "you need to watch your language". She came back outside a little later and said that "it was against the law to cuss" and that she already called the police.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 10 years ago.
There is nothing in the Virginia State Codes about profanity, cussing or cursing. You can verify this here.

For the City of Fairfax, the only city ordinance found was one regulating cursing to a police officer. Ordinance can be found here.

Sec. 50-2. Cursing or abusing officers.
It shall be unlawful for any person to curse or use abusive language toward a police officer, while the officer is performing his duties, which has a direct tendency to cause an act of violence by such officer. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.

If you are referring to Fairfax County, there is no mention of profanity, cussing or cursing.

You may also want to confirm this information with your local city hall in case there are new changes in the city ordinance. But so far nothing about public cursing only against police officers.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.