How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cut down trees overhanging my property line with ...

Resolved Question:

I cut down trees overhanging my property line with permission from my neighbor, who now says she gave permission only to trim branches. They have since installed a privacy fence inside the treeline and then had the property line marked. I fear I am going to be sued. What type of attorney do I need?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 10 years ago.

DearCustomer- You are within your rights to cut down anything that overhangs your property but not go onto the neighbor's property. I'm not certain from your question whether you went over the property line or just trimmed the overhanging branches. If you went onto your neighbor's property they could sue you for damages to their property. You may spend more on an attorney than you would just paying for some new trees.

If you want an attorney you probably should call your local Bar Association for a referral to someone in your city. Any attorney in general practice should be able to help you with this problem. If you never went onto your neighbor's property then you should have nothing to worry about. If your neighbor gave you permission then that would be adefense to any action they may file against you.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you