Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

what are the penalties for falsifying a death certificate

? Stat of Oregon...
what are the penalties for falsifying a death certificate ? Stat of Oregon
3/6/2007
Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)

There is no specific criminal offense in Oregon of falsifying a death certificate. The answer would depend on who did the falsifying and why. It could be fraud or since a death certificate is a sworn document, a person falsifying it would be swearing falsely and could be charged with the misdemeanor below

162.075 False swearing. (1) A person commits the crime of false swearing if the person makes a false sworn statement, knowing it to be false.

(2) False swearing is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §184]

If the person falsifying the certificate is a public official, the may be charged in that capacity as set forth in the statute below.

162.415 Official misconduct in the first degree. (1) A public servant commits the crime of official misconduct in the first degree if with intent to obtain a benefit or to harm another:

(a) The public servant knowingly fails to perform a duty imposed upon the public servant by law or one clearly inherent in the nature of office; or

(b) The public servant knowingly performs an act constituting an unauthorized exercise in official duties.

(2) Official misconduct in the first degree is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §215]

Please click ACCEPT below.

Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Lawmoe
Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)