Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is it ok for a Step Father to shower with a teenage girl

Customer Question
My Step Son was caught...
My Step Son was caught in the shower naked with my Grand daughter several times, the last time he had a hard on and was caught by my daughter. Is there a punishment for this type of action, which I think is very wrong. A Concerned Grandma & Grandpa
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2007
Lawyer: Walter, Legal Consultant replied 10 years ago
Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant

No this is not acceptable in any form. Is this the girls step father or step brother?

If it is her step father this needs to be reported to the police immediately.If he is doing this it is child abuse. Please for the sake of the child call the police and report this. All to often these things start out like this then progress to rape and even assaults. If it is her step brother then mom and dad need to step up and deal with this immediately. For one thing this is unhealthy and for two it is dangerous. What starts out as innocent fun tends to have horrible endings such as this child being raped.

If mom and dad refuse to deal with it I would recommend calling her doctor or Child Protection Services and reporting this so they can talk to mom and dad and deal with the situation.

Walter

Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
It was reported but as I understand there is nothing being done about it, it is a STEPFATHER that did this. It is said they are looking for more evidence other then in the shower naked with her. How can this be he should be tried and put away, and he should not be able to see my grand daughter or be by her. This is Child abuse I believe. Why are they not doing anything? Why does he get by with it and others don't?

I am shocked that nothing was done! Was it reported to the police or Child Protection Services?

Make sure it was reported by both. Who called them? You may want to call them yourself to make sure the report was made if you did not make it in the first place. Call both the Police and the Child Protection Services and ask why nothing is being done about it.

I would also recommend talking to your granddaughter and telling her to report this to her school counselor. Often the school can step n and get something done if she reports it and lets them know what is going on. As a last case resort if you have the stamina to deal with it call your local news stations and let them know how the police are doing nothing. (The child's identity will not be released) You should also file a formal complaint at the police station and call your local mayor and or governor and complain about the lack of investigation into the case.

If nothing is being done I would recommend calling a lawyer or Legal Aid if finances are a issue and having them start the procedures to petition the courts for temporary custody to go to you and your husband if you are capable of caring for the child. The mother would be required to pay you child support to care for her and this would get her out of this dangerous environment.

I wish you the best and as I said I am shocked that nothing is being done.

Walter

The investagaters were there at their house along with Social Services and detectives, dealing with this, but my daughter said that they do not have enough evidence to put him away. What more do they need. I did not report it but someone close by did and the school got involved this is in Oshkosh, WI

Is he still in the home?

no, but my daughter still has contact with him but my Grand daughter does not have contact with him so we are told.

OK, now I have a better understanding I was under the assumption he was still in the home.

The reason why nothing was done is because he physically did not touch the girl and it would be hard to prove that he had ulterior motives when he joined her in the shower. Since he is no longer in the home Child Protection would cease involvement since the threat is gone.

Unfortunately the law can not force your daughter to sever contact with the man unless he is coming around your granddaughter. The criminal case has no where left to go. The only option you have of trying to punish him would be to file a civil complaint and ask for monetary relief. I know this is not what you had in mind but at this point this is your last resort unless he contacts the girl again and try's something. Mom may want to get a restraining order against him to make sure he steers clear of her.

Mom may want to consider getting your granddaughter counseling to deal with this. I wish you the best and if you need anything feel free to let me know.

Walter

I want to thank you very much you have been of great help to me. Now I know my daughter was not lying. Thanks again Carol

No problem Carol....I am so sorry your granddaughter was put though this and if you ever need anything feel free to let me know.

Walter

A BIGGGG THANK YOU
Walter
Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant