4ren6
4ren6, Forensics/CSI
Experience:  Sworn Expert Witness in Criminal Law. Sworn Expert Courtroom Testimony.
796442

Illegal to open mail thats not yours

my ex-wife opened mail from IRS addressed to me, but at her address ( i never lived there???) kept it for 5 months, then filed with court and is wanting to use it as evidence for modification of child support. I never knew about letter from IRS, and now the time limit is up on dealing with the letter. Was it her right to keep the info for so long. Can she use as evidence due to the way she obtained it? I think she defrauded the IRS and gave them her address so they would mail her stuff of mine. what can i do?
No it was illegal to open mail that was not addressed to her but to you. She has indeed broken the law according to the USPS inspectors office. What she has done may indeed be found to be obtained without your consent and not used. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: what can i do? It is my belief that she had to have contacted the irs to get the address changed, because I have never used her address, I also do not know where to find info on evidence requirements, etc.

she would have had to send a change of address to them via the USPS. The USPS site has the regulations covering opening of other peoples mail. You may contact the US Postal Inspectors Office for assistance on this as well. They have the right to prosecute and enforce.

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/