How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LEV Your Own Question
LEV, Retired
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29568
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LEV is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I transfer my prop 13 to my children

Resolved Question:

Cani I pass my prop 13 to my children if I sell them my house or must I leave it to them through my trust when I die?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LEV replied 10 years ago.
What sort of properties do you intend to transfer? Do you have any tax deferred accounts (as 401k, IRA etc)? What is the total value of your estate? What state are you living or your property located?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lev's Post: Lev,
Thank's for your quick reply. You're right about my trust. I never did this before and actually don't trust the computer world yet.
My question is about a situation a good friend of mine, Randy,is in right now.
His father is dying and leaving his home to Randy and his sister. The dad and the sister want him to buy the house now. They're saying he can keep his dads prop13 if he does. Is this true? I don't trust them. (there's my trust issue) The Trust isn't irrevocable, which means it can be changed at any time? His dad did this before to him when his mother died, changed things.
Would he pay half the price of the home, would he get to keep prop 13, or should he wait?
The house is all I know about. It's in Simi Valley, CA. It's worth $450,000-480,000. There's a $160,000 mortage on it.
Because I think they're using him I just want to know if he should buy it now or would he be better off tax wise and prop 13 wise if he took it as an inheritance?.
I hope this makes sense.
Holly (Customer)
Expert:  LEV replied 10 years ago.

Property owners of at least 55 years of age may transfer the Proposition 13, factored base year value of their principal residence to a replacement principal residence. Here are some Q&A about property transfer taxation -

The estate value will be $480,000-$160,000=$320,000. Inherited property will have step-in basis that is fair market value at the time of death - so in case the property sold shortly after - there will not be any capital gain and therefore no tax.

Change in Ownership Reassessment Exclusions Refinancing -

Parent-Child Change in Ownership Exclusions -, - Transfers by sale, gift, or inheritance can avoid reassessment under Proposition 58. If a parent transfers a property to more than one child (shared ownership), each child should apply for the exemption for his/her share. Generally, the person acquiring the property must file a claim within 3 years after the date of transfer (if gift or sale) or parent's death (if inheritance), or the property is transferred to a third party.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lev's Post: Thanks for the web sites. I'll pass them on. Customer
Expert:  LEV replied 10 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions, otherwise I would appreciate if you click Accept button. This is the only way I get paid. You may return to this question any time after this if you need any clarification.
LEV and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you