How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christy Hammond Your Own Question
Christy Hammond
Christy Hammond, Bachelor of Science
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1529
Experience:  Qualified in all types of research
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Christy Hammond is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can i get a drivers license without a social security number/

Customer Question

i never renewed my Texas drivers license for about 10 years and Icannot get one without a social security card.Now I cannot get a copy of my lost SS card without a valid Tx, drivers license.I have tried everything and I am really desperate as I must urgently seek medical attention and I was ticketed for this same reasons yesterday and my vehicle was almost towed away by police.I am horrified to drive,there must be a lawyer or somebody that can find a solution to this catch 22 problem.
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Christy Hammond replied 11 years ago.
Other acceptable ID includes:
Employee ID card; School ID card; Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
U.S. military ID card; or Adoption decree.

According to the Tx DMV you can get a State Issued ID with:
-one piece of primary identification
-one piece of secondary identification plus two pieces of support identification
-two pieces of secondary identification.

Primary Identification:

-Texas driver license (DL) with photograph within two years after the expiration date.
- Unexpired United States Passport;
-United States citizenship (naturalization) certificate with identifiable photograph;
-Unexpired United States Immigration and Naturalization Service document with verified data and identifiable photograph;
-Unexpired United States military ID card with identifiable photograph.

Secondary Identification:
- Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by the appropriate State Bureau of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency.
-Original or certified copy of United States Department of State Certification of Birth
-Unexpired photo DL or photo ID issued by another (United States) state, US territory, the District of Columbia, or Canada
-Original or certified copy of court order with name and date of birth

Supporting Identification:
-school records
-insurance policy (at least two years old)
-vehicle title
-military records
-unexpired military dependant id card
-original or certified copy of marriage license or divorce decree
-voter registration card;
-Social Security card;
-pilot's license;
-concealed handgun license;
-Texas driver license temporary receipt;
-expired driver license or identification certificate issued by another state, territory, District of Columbia, or Canadian province that is within two years of the expiration date.
-a foreign passport (with or without a United States Visa)
-a consular document issued by a state or national government

For more info go to:

Texas DMV:
Social Security:

Good Luck to you

Christy Hammond, Bachelor of Science
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1529
Experience: Qualified in all types of research
Christy Hammond and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Relist: I want a different opinion.
you did not pay attention ! my license expired 10 to 12 years ago not 2 .My military i.d. is from 1963 not recently expired .I have nothing going for me! Your answers I already Knew from going back and forth as i stated in my original question presented to your expert. I need a better answer to solve this problem. I need a legal expert to advise me step by step or take up this case and help me.What you submitted to me I already knew over the years .
Expert:  Christy Hammond replied 11 years ago.
I appreciate your frustration, and you are welcome to another opinion. I could find no exception to the requirements, especially since 9/11 and Homeland Security.
I did realize your I.D. was not an option. Your post didn't mention a Birth Certificate, or any past court orders, and my answer was based on requesting a certified copy of either or both. Which along with your Military Records (not I.D.) and, for example, a marriage Certificate   Would allow you to apply for a State ID.

If your situation is more complicated, I understand, and I hope you find a better answer. I did email an explaination of your problem to an Attorney in my family and I will send a pm if I receive any further information.

Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
The following information is from the Social Security Administration, on replacing a Social Security Card:

Replacement Social Security Card for a U.S.-Born Citizen

You can replace your Social Security card for free if it is lost or
stolen. However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year
and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do
not count toward these limits. For example, changes in immigration
status that require card updates may not count toward these
limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if you can
prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.

To get a replacement card:


We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship.
These include a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. consular report of birth,
U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of


We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An
acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name,
identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent
photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued nondriver identification card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get
a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other
documents, including:

  • Employee ID card;
  • School ID card;
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
  • U.S. military ID card; or
  • Adoption decree.

We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity.

All documents must be either originals or copies
certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or
notarized copies of documents.

We will mail your card as soon as we have all of your information
and have verified your documents. Your replacement card will have the
same name and number as your previous card.

Keep your Social Security card in a safe place. It is an important document. Do not carry it with you.

Click the above Link(s) for additional information.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... Please honor my efforts by Clicking the
green 'Accept' button (located within this post -- above-right).
Adding a bonus -- should you wish to do so -- would be warmly welcomed.

Good Luck!