Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can novacaine give a false positive for cocaine

Customer Question
Due to the nature of...
Due to the nature of my job the DOT occasionally test me for drug use. I am currently getting alot of dental work done and I am worried that I might test positive for cocaine. My dentist said not to worry but co-workers of mine have been fired before and I believed that they were not drug users.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Legal
6/16/2005
Lawyer: The Mystic Wave, Paralegal replied 12 years ago
The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Paralegal

Greetings:

I would be quite honest with your employer about your concerns. I would also provide your employer with the name, address and telephone number of your dentist, along with a letter from your dentist to confirm your dental work and have him/her state approximately how long you will be receiving such treatment/care. Ask if you can schedule any testing for shortly thereafter.

In the interim, I would just do your job accordingly and trust that all will work out.

Note that you have rights should your employer insist and demand you have testing now and testing turns out to be positive. I would then consult with an attorney.

Hope this helps.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: Although I really did appreciate your response, you provided me with no information that I could use. Of course I am documenting my procedures and would hire an attorney if I needed one. My questions purpose was for putting my mind at rest. I still don't know if I am safe or in possible trouble. I won't draw attention to myself at work by telling them my concern either. They would assume that I am trying to cover up some sins and watching out for my job. I would definately be tested at the highest screening level. From your credentials I believed that you might have been part of a court case that pertained to my fear or because of your Earthy hobbies you would have information about recreational chemicals and the law.
Customer
Lawyer: Martye, ex-student replied 12 years ago
Martye
Martye, ex-student

Novacaine (actually Lidocaine) is not listed among 65 drugs that can cause "false positive readings"

Amoxycillin ( a frequently prescribed anti-biotic ) is listed as possible to cause a false positive for cocaine.

A urine test will only show accurate results for four days after
ingestion of cocaine. Hair samples can show results for up to 90 days.

Check out these 2 sites for more information, both medical and legal.

www.passyourdrugtest.com

www.erowid.org/psychoactives

Good luck !!

Martye
Martye, ex-student

GreetingsCustomer

Thank you for responding and sharing your thoughts. I am sorry that my response was not what you had in mind.

I can provide you with legal information in which to answer all of your concerns - however, if you would be so kind, could you please explain to me your following statement:

"From your credentials I believed that you might have been part of a court case that pertained to my fear or because of your Earthy hobbies you would have information about recreational chemicals and the law."

Thank you kindly. I look forward to hearing from you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Dear mystic wave,

I hope that my statement "From your credentials I believed that you might have been part of a court case that pertained to my fear or because of your Earthy hobbies you would have information about recreational chemicals and the law." . Didn't give the wrong impression.

I thought, that you might have in your legal profession had an experienced in a court case similiar to my situation (my fear).
Also, I live around 40 minutes from woodstock NYand eat there often.There are lots of shops for earthy people, aroma therapy, herbs, mystics, crystal programers, tarot card readers etc... They offer all sorts of body cleaning potions and the such for people in drug testing situations. I thought that if you were friendly in this culture that you would have information that may have helped. I apopogize if I caused you to feel stereotyped.
Customer

Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: Dear mystic wave,

Customer

Reply to Martye's Post: I am now getting repeat information. Thank you for your response.
Customer
Reply to Martye's Post: I am getting alot of repeat info from the responses to my question.

sorry Customer
I am getting alot of repeat info from the responses to my question.

sorryCustomer

sorryCustomer

I'm not sure why you are getting ANY responses... I did reply to your
PM but that was my last contact with you.... Please post your problem
to the "technical assistance" area of this site... It sounds like a
problem on their end.

PS there is NO charge for this reply OR their assistance

Thanks again .... Martye

Reply to Martye's Post: I don't understand? I am new to this site.
[email protected]
whats a PM?

If you could describe your problem with the repeated "info", I could perhaps help you better. PM stands for 'private message'.

You sent me one, (on June 18) to which I responded.

Martye
Martye
Martye, ex-student