3 year old boar nanny gave birth to a smallish kid 2 weeks ago. She is oozing some blood and is very lethargic. Eatsj

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: 3 year old boar nanny gave birth to a smallish kid 2 weeks ago. She is oozing some blood and is very lethargic. Eatsj justalittle.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Shehas been a verygood momma. Raised 2 nice males last year
Answered by Dr. McKenzie in 17 mins 3 months ago
imglogo
Dr. McKenzie
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Large Animal Veterinary, Horse Veterinary, Livestock Veterinary Medicine

Hi this is Dr. McKenzie with Just Answer. I'm happy to help you today! I apologize for your wait, I just logged on.

*

*

Your concerns about your pet's health are my top priority, and I can confidently help you both feel better.

*

My objective is to determine whether your pet needs to be seen by a veterinarian immediately or if we can manage things from the comfort of your home.

*

I cannot diagnose or prescribe medication on this platform, but if you have medicine at home, I can discuss correct dosages with you.

*

I will do my best to help you and your pet, and give you my professional advice based on the history and clinical signs you share.

Is the blood oozing from her vaginally?

Customer
Hi

It sounds like she may have a uterine infection. Did she pass her placenta that you know of?

Customer
I thought she passed it all just a day after giving birth. Birthed on the 14th
Customer
She was looking fine until yesterday and seems weaker today

Okay great! Sometimes they develop an uterine infection, even if everything seems to go right. To treat this, I would recommend antibiotic (excede) and pain medication (meloxicam or banamine) treatment.

Customer
Ok i have excede but not the pain meds
Customer
Wife says she has meloxicam. What dose for 130lb

Okay let me get you dosages! Give me a few moments to look them up.

What is the concentration of the meloxicam you have?

Customer
We have it 100 ml capsules celebrex

I looked up Celebrex, it appears to be celecoxib not meloxicam

Customer
Ok

Since celecoxib is a human medication, I can't find any studies on it's use or safety in small ruminants. You could get a prescription from your veterinarian for pain medications.

For antibiotics, you have excede, but do you have excenel?

Customer
No
Customer
I have given the excede that we have for cattle to a goat before and it does work

Yep it's a great drug! It's not labeled for use in goats but we can use it off-label at the direction of a veterinarian. I will find the withdrawal for you and let you know that after when I get the specifics!

Customer
Ok

For Excede, give 2ml SQ

I usually only have to give one dose for uterine infections, but if it's not clearing up she may need another dose or in-person evaluation by your primary veterinarian

Customer
Not behind ear?
Customer
TY

If you're able to behind the ear that would be awesome! Just make sure before you inject to pull the plunger back and make sure you don't get blood!

Customer
Ok

I submitted a request for the meat withdrawal for this product in goats. As soon as I hear back, I will let you know!

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer
ok thank you

I'm still waiting on hearing from FARAD for the appropriate withdrawal! I just wanted to keep you updated on this!

Customer
She is eating and feeling much better this morning. No new vaginal bleeding this morning.

Glad to hear it!

I got a response back about meat withdrawal!

If given in base of ear at appropriate amount - 18d meat withdrawal

If given SQ in neck - 70d meat withdrawal

In the future, having excenel on hand for your goats would be good since it is labeled for small ruminants.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. McKenzie
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
Dr. McKenzie
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.