Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Several arthritis in his his leg. My Pot belly pig is a

Several arthritis in his...

Several arthritis in his his leg. My Pot belly pig is a large boy and he is 14 years old. He was managing still getting out of his box, with a little limping yesterday. Today the leg is swollen and he can barely stand. He seems to be in pain and refused to eat this morning. I'm in a panic...I live very rural, in a new place and don't have a vet here. I need to give him aspirin or something asap. I have 50mg Tramadol here to. What can he take? Please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is no wound...he's had arthritis now in a front leg and this rear leg for several years. I'm 60 yr old and live on a fixed income. He has been taken well care of. He has his own AC in his box for summer and heat in the winter. I just am so upset and need advise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pig's name?

Bobo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bobo?

No for 14 to he has been doing good. He has started to somewhat began to not make it out of his box now when he has to pee...because he is slower. So he has accidents in his box. However...I keep XL dog pre pass down now on his mats and change these and his hat out every morning.

Should I wait here for my response? I really need to do something asap
4/7/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

Could you tell me how much you think Bobo weighs?

Thank you.

He is not a full PB...I would say he weights easily close to 275...maybe 300.
No...I do not need a call...

The call is an automatic response from the site, not from me. Just ignore it.

Give me a moment to calculate some doses for you.

Can he take Tramadol for pain? I have 50 mg and 300 mg ER

OK. A pig this large will require about 1300 mg of aspirin twice a day. That is equal to about 3-3.5 regular size tablets of aspirin. I would recommend either using coated aspirin or buffered aspirin to decrease stomach ulceration as much as possible.

The tramadol dose ranges from 130 to 550 mg every 12 hours. There is no information on using the ER Tramadol, so use your 50 mg tablets. I usually start in the middle giving about 200 - 300 mg of Tramadol every 12 hours.

In general, I like to use much safer medications in pigs, such as Meloxicam or Previox. These require a prescription from your vet so to decrease the chance of stomach ulceration, I would also give Bobo 100 mg of Prilosec ( omeprazole ) once a day at least 2 hours apart from the Tramadol & aspirin.

This should make him much more comfortable.

Please let me know how else I can help or if you have any further questions for me today.

I no longer have a large animal vet to help. My husband passed 3 years ago and I had to move away. I will do my best with what I have. Thank you

I am sorry for your loss. Give this a try & hopefully Bobo will feel better. This conversation will remain open for a week, even after you have rated my response, so do not hesitate to let me know if anything else concerns you.

Take care.

Can I give him Glucosamin Chondroitin also along with his meds?
It has no shellfish in the product.

Absolutely. It is totally fine to give this too.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

Dr . Linda..I am at a loss. Bobo has not eaten in two days. I can't get any thing down him to get the meds in. As of last night he was still trying to stand to pee and poop...no food or water. Today even though I basically pushed him and helped him outside he can not stand on his back leg. It is swollen and he want put weight on it. He is very weak and just lays down. I got him back in his house and he still will not even eat a tomato, squash, bread or his food. He is just sleeping very hard. I have given him 10cc IM of Duramycin 72-200 today. Two different injections...5cc each. Something I have noticed is that he is trembling on his snout and around his mounth and jaws. Also, he is moving a lot during sleeping as if in pain. I have placed slowly 300mg of Tramadal inside his jaw to dissolve and will do the same with the aspirin slowly. Any other suggestions??? I did get some help here to roll him today on his back to check him well and trim the hoof good on the bad leg. The leg is swollen and warm..but I saw no injury or cut on the leg or hoove. Any additional help would be appreciated.

I am so sorry that you are having such difficulties. It does sound like this is more than just arthritis in the leg, perhaps the joint has become septic ( infected ) or he has developed a pathologic fracture in the leg. This can sometimes occur spontaneously from osteoporosis or even bone cancer in the leg. He is definitely in severe pain, & probably exhausted from hobbling around. Instead of just letting the tablets dissolve in his mouth, which will taste awful, could you grind them up or dissolve in water & mix with something like apples sauce or even pureed baby food? You could syringe this into his mouth. If you do not have a syringe, a small baster or even an ear bulb syringe would work.

The Duramycin was a good start, but since it is not labeled for joint infections we will need to see if it helps.

There is not much more I can really offer if he refuses to eat other than give the medications a chance to work. I know you probably have him on soft bedding & you are keeping food & water close by. If he is no better in 24 hours or so, then you may need to make a decision or him. We can not let him suffer. Even if you could get a vet out, we are very limited as to what can be done in such a large animal.

Let me know how he does.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian