Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My Boer goat got stuck the other day between a fence, and I…

Customer Question
My Boer goat got...

My Boer goat got stuck the other day between a fence , and I notice today that one of her cheek is swallow and if you even try to grab him he would scream from pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the goat will be able to digest that. What is the goat's name and age?

Gordon and he's 3 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gordon?

No other than that he's pretty healthy

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 2 days by:
4/5/2018
Large Animal Vet: Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian

Greetings, and thanks for your question. My apologies for this delay in getting back to you. I've been out working and just logged on after several days.

You mentioned that one of Gordon's cheeks were swallow. Did you mean to say swollen? If this is the case, it is extremely likely that he has developed an abscess from his entanglement in the fence, but I need to ask a few questions of you to rule out other possibilities.

1): Is Gordon able to eat and drink normally?

2): Is he walking normally, with his head straight?

3): If there is a swelling on his cheek, are you able to feel it and determine if it feels as if there is fluid underneath the skin?

Thanks, ***** *****'m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM