Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 10 day old goat buckling who ate fine of his bottle…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 10 day old goat buckling who ate fine of his bottle at noon but no interest now and have a temp of 105.4. I always worry about pneumonia when bottle feeding. I have some cepahalexin 500mg and wondered if safe to give and the amount?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the goat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the goat?

No, I have a degree in animal science and have raised 100’s of dairy calves but first bottle baby goat

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
4/2/2018
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 17 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you.

Now as I am sure you are aware goats have a delicate GI microflora that is quite important to the species for normal digestion and nutrient absorption from what is a hard to digest diet. This means we lean away from using most oral antibiotics as this microflora population would be at risk with these (which can cause fatal diarrhea). Furthermore, Cephalexin isn't licensed for the species. Therefore, if this buck is febrile and there is concern of bacterial infection (pneumonia or otherwise), we'd be better using injectable Penicillin or Oxytetracycline from the local farm supply shop. Both are better broad spectrum options for suspect respiratory infections and would be safer generally for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 15 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian