Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Looking for a pot belly pig vet, Pig with redness in back…

Customer Question
Looking for a pot...

Looking for a pot belly pig vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the pig?

Pig with redness in back from neck to base of tail. Weakness of hindlegs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the pig seem to hurt?

In the back. Midway

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the pig's name and age?

Babe 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pig's name?

Babe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Babe?

He is a pet. Lives inside the house. When this start like two weeks ago, they heard a noise and when they found Babe they found 3 areas of redness in the back

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Large Animal Vet: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

How is Babe feeling/eating? Any diarrhea? Does he vocalize when asked to move, as if in pain?

Thank you. I will get back to you as quickly as I can once I see you respond.

Thank you.

He is eating ok . If you touch his back,he would vocalize as in pain

This sounds like a disease called Erysipelas. It is a bacteria that Babe most likely contracted as a baby, & in some chronic forms a pig will not show clinical signs for 4-12 months. So he is the right age & the weakness in his hind legs may be the start of arthritis, which is also very common with this disease.

The treatment for this is twice daily injections of penicillin, so it would be a great idea to confirm this with a veterinarian, if possible. Otherwise, I can give you the dose of penicillin you will need to administer over the next 2 weeks. All I need is Babe's approximate weight.

Sorry, I meant I need his approximate weight.

He weights 20 lbs

OK, so if you want to treat this yourself, you will need to purchase a bottle of Procaine Penicillin G ( available at all feed stores, Tractor Supply, etc. ) & give Babe 0.6 ml in the muscle every 12 hours for about 10-14 days. We give intramuscular injections to pigs in the muscle just behind the ear. You will need to alternate between the right & left sides & Babe will be unhappy about this.

If his back redness & soreness clears in a couple of days, then continue the injections because of the chance the bacteria is already in his joints. This will take longer to clear up & you want to prevent future bacterial arthritis.

If you are game for this, have plenty of treats for Babe as he goes through treatment.

Please let me know what other questions or concerns you might have.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Linda

Hello, just wanted to see how Babe is doing. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask. If all is OK, I hope you will consider providing a rating as this is the only manner in which I can receive credit from the site. I would greatly appreciate this.

I hope Babe is feeling better.

Take care.