Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a dwarf nigerian female. She is in heat and her

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a dwarf nigerian female. She is in heat and her utters are enlarged. she has neot been around any males

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Goat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the goat's name and age?

Miss Cheavious and she is 1 yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the goat's name?

She is a dwarf nigerian goat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the goat?

She seems fine otherwise . the utters are soft to the touch

Answered in 1 day by:
3/28/2018
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Does Miss Cheavious have any expressible milk? Does she seem uncomfortable when you touch her teats?

she seems uncomfortable when I touch her teats. I wasn't able to extract anything. The teats are enlarged and hanging down but not very firm. There isn't any evidence that they are secreting anything.

Do they feel hot? Is there any color change to her udders?

They feel body temp not hot. She is black with a few white spots. Udders are dark grey.

Is she eating well? Does she seem her usual bright self?

She is eating well and runs and plays with her sister. The udders swing side to side when she runs. They are not hard and stiff.

It is not uncommon to have some mammary development associated wity the hormonal changes of being in heat. If there is no bruising or pain associated with the teats and there is no expressible discharge, the changes may be perfectly normal. However if she seems off color, is running a temperature, stops eating or the teats appear hard and hot or bruised in appearance, I would recommend having your vet check her over as she may need antibiotic treatment for mastitis.

Thank you for your help. Sherry

You are very welcome Sherry. Hopefully Miss Chievious is feeling much better very soon!

I hope you have found this advice helpful. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

It would be very much appreciated if you could click the stars to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and expertise helping here.

Many Thanks and I hope you have a great day.

Richard.

Richard Rawling

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling