Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our mini goats ( bucks) have had a worm problem, they have…

Customer Question
Hi, our mini goats...

Hi, our mini goats ( bucks) have had a worm problem, they have been drenched but are still showing signs if worms. Have had blood works for one dine ad he doesn't seem to be himself still, not putting on weight though he is eating his eyes are sill white inside, maybe slight pink but not as much as the others. My vet csn help me with a solution, they sometimes have a cough.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the goat's name and age?

Leo 3 yrs, Cisco 2 yrs, Cisco is very lean through his neck down to his tail, Leo isnt as bad

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the goat's name?

Cisco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cisco?

No she has done all blood works all game back clear,

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
3/26/2018
Large Animal Vet: Jill DVM, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Jill DVM
Jill DVM, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a veterinarian. It sounds like you may be having parasite resistance problems, where the medications you are using are no longer working. I do not know where you are located and have not examined your animals, so I cannot recommend which medications to switch to, but have some advice to help battle it. Parasite eggs are very resilient and hard to kill in the environment, therefor thorough cleaning is very important. If you can, dig out your goats pens and replace them with fresh dirt. Pressure wash all fence panels, mats, and feeders. Most importantly, try to keep all feed and forage up off the ground so they ingest fewer eggs, and make the feeders small enough that they don't want to jump on them, and are less likely to poop in their feeders. They should have access to good quality forage at all times. It also takes time to recover from a parasite burden, so they may need a little more time and care. I hope this has been helpful, let me know if you have more questions. If not, remember to rank my service above, or let me know what I can do to improve!

Ok, we have started with new bedding and They feed out of a container have been picking up all the dropping. We have given Cisco two lots of Q Drench over the last couple of months that was what our vet Recommend and we hard about To give it to him again

That's a good start. Q Drench has a good combination of medications in it. Hopefully the second round will do the charm. Let me know if you have any more questions!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
JACUSTOMER-2cx33yk5-
Not sure, Cisco had a sieger of sorts yesterday, he fell down on his side and went stiff with his head back, this lasted for about a minute. He went to get up and went down again and threw his head back, again for close to a minute, then got up and just stood for a while