Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Are sego palms poisonous to potbelly pigs? My pig may have…

Are sego palms poisonous...

Are sego palms poisonous to potbelly pigs? My pig may have just eaten a piece from the segos that we pulled out of the yard earlier this week.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what May ate?

Did not see exactly what it was

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about May?

Just heard her crunching on something in the area where a piece of it might have been. It just happened 30 minutes ago.

3/23/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Large Animal Vet

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have a question about if a sago palm is toxic to your potbelly pig. Is that a correct summary of your question?

My pig may have eaten a piece of the plant but we aren’t 100% sure
My vet said to just watch for vomiting. But I wanted the opinion from poison control as well.

Thank you for that information. These plants are potentially toxic to pigs, but it depends on the amount that was consumed. The larger the animal, the more of the plant that would need to be swallowed in order to cause toxic effects. Therefore, a potbelly pig will need to swallow more than just a piece of it to have the toxicity. Swallowing multiple seeds can be toxic. Signs of toxicity are intestinal pain, salivation, diarrhea, and neurological changes such as difficulty walking. If larger pieces were chewed then that could mean an emergency, so it would be important to know if only a small piece was chewed.

Does that help to answer your question?

I was only a small piece, if she even ate it all. Only small prices were left in the yard. She’s about 150-170lbs
thank you! We will watch her. Appreciate your help. Have a great weekend.

That would be too small to cause a toxicity. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Large Animal Vet