Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 6 month old heifer that I have bottle raised and…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 6 month old heifer that I have bottle raised and over the last month started putting her in our 10 acre pasture to graze during the day. She is a red angus mix with a small amount of white on her face with a pink nose. Last week I noticed her nostrils were a little red and a few days following, her nose became sunburned. It started to peel and is in the process of peeling the remaining skin off. She is eating and drinking fine, no fever at all. I started reading online and read about photosensitivity in cattle. Now I am worried.. We have other white cows and we have never had this issue. We don't have a large animal vet very close to us so it's hard to just load her up and run to a vet. How common is it on younger calves with light noses to get sunburned vs actually eating poisonous plants that would affect her nose while out in the sun? How can you tell the difference? Thank you very much!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the heifer ate?

No. She is out in the pasture and I have no idea what kind of plants or weeds or out there.. We have had cows in the same pasture for 10 years and never had this issue.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the heifer?

I am not even sure if she ate something..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/OnX3Vhao/image0.jpgThis was last week.
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1LpXAVHG/image0.jpg
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is the vet not going to respond?
Answered in 3 days by:
3/22/2018
Jillian Costello

Hi Tammy, my name is ***** ***** I am a new veterinarian working with Just Answer. I apologize for the delay in answering your question. Are there are other cows or calves with blisters on their noses? Do any of them have any blisters showing up around their hooves?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No other cows are affected. We actually had to rush her to Texas A&M as she stopped eating and was in pain. They discovered her liver is not working and will be performing a liver biopsy today. Being so young, I’m praying she can recover. She is stable now but I’m not sure what her future holds.

That is quite scary! TAMU is a great hospital and I'm sure they will get to the bottom of it. Usually when cows ingest toxic plants that make them sensitive to light, any pink skinned area will burn or be irritated. From your pictures it doesn't look like that has happened, or you caught it early enough that it hadn't happened yet. There are usually other affected animals too, but not always. Hopefully she has something treatable, like a low grade bacterial hepatitis or parasites. TAMU probably already did this for you, but you could contact your local agricultural office and they should be able to provide you with pictures of toxic plants in your area, so you can walk your field and see if anything troublesome is growing. It's unlikely since you haven't had prior problems, but it's something to do. In any case, I hope she does well! Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm going to turn on the rating system so you can close this question out if you want to. I'm sorry the reply came so late. If I've been helpful at all give me a good rating, or let me know what I can do to improve!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you. Shb didn’t show any signs of being sick until yesterday. It was only her little nose that was irritated. She had never been in a trailer before or on a halter so getting her there was an experience. Just glad she is with the best vets that know how to deal with these issues.

For sure! Good luck and let me know how she does!

Jillian Costello

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

JACUSTOMER-2cx33yk5-
Jillian Costello
Jillian Costello
Jillian Costello