Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

How do I go about getting the ear tags required by law and…

Customer Question
How do I go...

How do I go about getting the ear tags required by law and what is their purpose.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Boar goats

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the boar?

They are healthy but they are required to have ear tags

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the boar seem to hurt?

They don't hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the boar's name and age?

Oreo she is two weeks old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the boar's name?

Oreo

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Large Animal Vet: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

Ear tags are placed to identify individual animals in a herd or to identify animals that have been tested & determined to be scrapie free. The purpose of the tags are to follow & identify any animal in the face of a disease outbreak. You can place metal, plastic or even radio frequency ID(RFID) tags.

You can call the USDA Veterinary Service Office at 1-***-***-****, or call your State Office Veterinarian ( should be under Government in the white pages ), or try this site for all the information you should need. If you are unsure, you may need to get a local veterinarian involved as it can be a little tricky navigating through the testing & paperwork you might need. Please note, this is all primarily for commercial operations or for show goats, & is not necessary for pet goats.

Go to https://aphis.usda.gov/aphis/outfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/sheep-and-goat-health/national-scrapie-eradication-program/ct_to_order_ear_tags .

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.