Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 60 lbs male cast.pygmy has a stifle injury.Puts weight on…

Customer Question
My 60 lbs male...

My 60 lbs male cast.pygmy has a stifle injury.Puts weight on it but holds up up sometimes.Vet gave me banamine for him? Is it safe to try glucosomine/msm 1500mg...One third a tablet a day with feed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Oh sorry pygmy goat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the goat?

Favoring his left back leg.No temp and eating and drinking as normal.Still plays.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the goat's name and age?

Cowboy and 5yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cowboy?

He has been cut so no longer a stud.Plays rough with his cut son.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
3/6/2018
Large Animal Vet: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today. I am just so sorry that no one has addressed this earlier. There are not many large animal vets on this site, & even fewer with farm animal experience.

Unfortunately, any dose of glucosamine will not be helpful. It is not going to hurt to give it, but the basic carbohydrates that make up joint supplements are just going to be chewed up in the rumen to basic sugars & absorbed as such.

Most folks are using a medication called meloxicam for orthopedic problems in goats. I will be happy to discuss this with you if you wish.

Thanks for your patience.

Thank You and looking forward to using this site.
Donna

You are welcome. If you were satisfied with my response, please do not forget to provide a rating as this is the only manner in which I receive credit from the website. I would greatly appreciate this.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to respond here as this conversation will stay open for a week, even after you provide the rating.

Thank you.

I'm getting text on my cell which i don't use for text?.30cents ?each time?

I have no idea about this. I can barely use my computer as it is. I do know that some cell companies do charge for text messaging so any questions you might have about charges you might direct to Just Answer Customer Support or even your own cell provider.

Thank you.