Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

We rescued a mini juiana pig when she was a few weeks old.

Customer Question
We rescued a mini...

We rescued a mini juiana pig when she was a few weeks old. She is only 7 pounds and 2/12 years old. Very healthy. Organic diet etc. She started getting a few bumps around the sides of her face and it has spread and they are more like cysts now. i was a nurse so used Hybiclins on her and Murpercin ointment. I have penicillin and ampicillin and Augmentin. She is completely in doors and sleeps in bed. Can you help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the pig. What is the pig's name?

Lethargy? Is this the correct post?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the pig?

She is completely normal. No lethargy etc. Just these cysts.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Why are they directing me to a cat veterinarian instead of one who treats Juliana Pigs?
Answered in 5 days by:
2/25/2018
Large Animal Vet: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Linda. My moderator just informed me about your post. Do you still need assistance?

Thank you.

please.
Hello? Are you still there?

OK Since you first posted a week ago, how have the lesions progressed?

Are they increasing, rupturing? Is she losing hair in the areas?

What have you tried since your post?

Hi! OK.... I washed here a few times with Hbiclins and mupricin. Went through one week of Penicillin ad ran out so gave her Augmentin in doses appropriate doses for her
There is very little improvement

OK, that is a shame none of that worked. I am wondering if this I some type of cutaneous skin eruption unrelated to a bacterial infection.

Do any of them rupture & heal? If they rupture, what does the discharge look like?

Is she itchy?

Im cancelling this out. It's taken a week and I am not happy how this is being taken care of. Thank you, though.

OK. Sorry for wasting your time.

It wasn't you. they kept telling me my questions were cancelled out and its been over a week.

Please contact customer support to make sure you are not charged in any way. There are very few large animal vets on this site, so sometimes it takes a while for an answer. In all honesty, your quickest response will be to take her to a vet who can sample some of the lesions for cytology & culture & sensitivity. Just make sure she is off all antibiotics for a couple of days before doing so. Hopefully, this way you can really nail down the reason for the problem.

Good luck with her, & sorry that you did not have a good experience here. We really do try.

Thank you so much. If you saw the history of my questions with no response for many many days you would understand why i am so upset. And then I would resubmit and it would say no one was avail or it was cancelled. Agai, this was not your doing, ly. it was internal in the company. Thank you so much.

None of that would show up here, but I do understand your frustrations. I have written to management about how to better handle older questions, but I guess no one has come up with a good solution. And until you connect with a real veterinarian, all you are dealing with is a Bot. So I hope this experience has not turned you off telemedicine completely. It can sometimes be a real time & money saver.

Take care.

Thank you so much. i got that about the bot when they kept asking me unrelated and monotonous questions. It does need to get cleaned up. I am taking her into the Vet right now. thank you.

You are welcome. If you have a chance, please let me know what is found out. I can learn from this, too!