Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I think we have sore mouth in some of the goats. ow should…

I think we have...

I think we have sore mouth in some of the goats. ow should we treat it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the goat's name and age?

It is a yealing..no name it's a boar goat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the goat?

It has sores on it's legs also. they look very similar

1/20/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If you are seeing signs of sore mouth here, then we do need to tread with care. It is easily spread in shared environments (as infection is not just direct but can be due to contaminated bedding/hay/fences/flies/etc) and it is something you can also catch. Therefore, any affected stock should be isolated. Ideally since we have an environmental contamination risk, this may mean removing those without signs to a clean pasture or shed. Else you may need to split the area they are kept after deep cleaning one area.

Otherwise, as this is a virus, there is no direct treatment. Instead the aim is to support the immune system as it fights this off while preventing prevent secondary infection. Therefore, often we will put these infected animals onto both parenteral and topical antibiotics (apply topicals with gloves of course) to prevent secondary bacterial infection of the skin lesions. And as we do that, we want to make sure they are on a good diet +/- supplement trace minerals/vitamins if there is any appetite decline. Finally, for those that aren't infected yet, there would be an option to vaccinate in the face of the outbreak to try to reduce their risk of catching this. However, no vaccine is 100% and we can see some strains of this virus spread despite vaccination.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian