Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

Five year old pot belly pig, we just moved to a cold climate…

Five year old pot...

Five year old pot belly pig , we just moved to a cold climate she is a house pig but is slightly over weight and has developed a limp in her left front leg, her hooves are not long at all but it's really seeming to hurt her we are snowed in and I wondered if I can give her ibuprofen or what?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes since there are a lot of rocks here but I see no wound I eveb

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the pig's name?

Samantha ,we have had her since she was just a baby and it hurts to see her in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Samantha?

Two years ago she had aspiration pneumonia we almost lost her but no other problems other than fighting her weight

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is overweight and I think I feel inflammation in the joint. I am afraid if it keeps hurting she want get up and move around I worry about her bowel's becoming impacted ,because it is so cold out she doesn't want to go down the ramp and move around which helps her delicate any help would be appreciated
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Stupid computer! I typed deficate not delicate I am worried she will get an impaction ,not something I want to deal with in a snow storm
1/15/2018
Anna
Anna, Livestock Expert

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with many years of experience keeping animals. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

Just to clarify, has a vet ever examined her to confirm if she has arthritis? It is very common in pot belly pigs.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you I was getting worried no one would answer and we can't get out right now to find a vet clinic we just moved here, yes she did have the exam two years ago when she had the respiratory infection and our vet thought she had the beginning signs in her hocks , also her front joints, but we put her on a diet and kept her hooves trimmed , a few times she limped but never like this , it is so much colder here so she does not want to go out , but I have examined her feet completely and found no cuts on her foot , she was in a transport. Van for about ten hours on the way here hope this helps I am so worried about her please let me know what to do.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Number is ***** our number is(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I understand please have her help us worried about my girl

Thank you for getting back to me. For some reason there have been issues with notifications, and I just found out you had replied. Unfortunately, arthritis is very common in pot belly pigs. The only over-the-counter pain killer that is safe is buffered aspirin. You can give 325 mgs. twice per day. Ibuprofen and other pain relievers can be toxic.

Long term, glucosamine sulfate/chondroiten supplements can help, too. But they don't give immediate relief ; it takes awhile to build up in the body. A vet can also give hyaluronic acid injections. Prescription pain medications are effective. Meloxicam, carprofen, and Tramadol are often used. Of course, you'll need to see a vet for these things. Until then, you can go with the buffered aspirin. It is recommended not to use it for more than 10 days. Hopefully, you'll be out from under the snow by then. Here is a good article by a vet on arthritis in pot belly pigs:

http://azeah.com/pot-bellied-pigs/arthritis

I see you have requested a phone call. Not all experts are set up for phone calls. I am not. Perhaps one of my colleagues will call. If you have changed your mind, and no longer need the call, just let me know.

If you have more concerns, I'm glad to help. I hope the buffered aspirin will ease Samantha's pain.

Anna

Anna
Anna, Livestock Expert
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you , and that was helpful I know pigs can be very sensitive to drugs but I have aspirin and I don't think we will need a call .thank you again for the help our pigs are very special to us
Joan
Phone call session started
Anna
Anna
Anna, Livestock Expert