Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Sick wild deer, has diarrhea,failing,very thin. about 3 yrs.

Sick wild deer, has...

Sick wild deer, has diarrhea,failing,very thin. about 3 yrs. old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the deer?

It has diarrhea, sometimes does not eat, very thin, slow moving,has been this way for about 3 months, its about 3 yrs old,male.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the deer's name?

It is a wild deer,mule deer, roams game preserve around oue homw.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the deer?

When we see it, we give it grain, oats with cracked corn, cut up apple

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the deer bleeding a lot?

No bleeding , no injuries that I cansee, just a wasting diarrhea

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/12/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I would guess that either this buck has a severe parasitism, or this is Chronic Wasting Disease ( CWD ), a disease that was actually first identified in mule deer in Colorado back in the 60's.

I am afraid regardless of the diagnosis, it would be very impractical to even try helping this animal. Do you have any specific questions concerning the deer?

I guessed,without any knowledge,that it is probably a parasite,is there anything natural the deer could be fed that would help? Is it in pain?

I do not think it is in overt pain, but this is very difficult to evaluate in a wild animal. There is nothing natural that you could put out to deworm him, & even if there was a product to use, I doubt he would eat it. This is always a difficult thing to deal with in wildlife. Are there any game rangers in your area?

None who would help the animal other than putting it down.
There are livestock deworming feed pellets- could this be tried?

Absolutely! But getting him to eat this may be the challenge.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian