Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Alittle over a week ago my pet mini pot belly pig stepped on…

Alittle over a week...

Alittle over a week ago my pet mini pot belly pig stepped on a tack. we where a ble to remove it but he's still limping pretty bad on it . i'm realy concerned because it looks very pain full for him to get around. he's a good size pig,and i dont know how i would get him to a vet plus afford the bill.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes ive tried but its difficult because hes so aware of anyone trying to look at it that he tends to lay on it alot. as to laying on his side like usual

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pig?

Thats it for now. thank you so much

1/11/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with you concerns today.

My biggest concern is the threat of infection in the foot, & pigs are pretty susceptible to tetanus.

I would like you to get some 3x3 inch gauze and put about 5-6 of them together. Soak them in betadine solution & wring out some of the liquid. Put this on the bottom of the foot fairly wet & wrap with coban or vetwrap ( all of this should be available at your food coop or at any pharmacy ). Change the bandage every 2-3 days.

I think you need to start an antibiotic, as well. Without a veterinary script, your only option is injectable penicillin G, which your pig will not like. If you have anything oral lying around, let me know & I will figure what will work. Anyway, if all you can get is penicillin, you should try to get about 5cc per 100 pounds into the muscle once a day for 5 days. You can also give him aspirin for the pain. The dose for a 100 pound pig will be 2200 mg once a day, which is equal to 7 regular strength aspirin tablets. Do this for 5 days.

As a pig owner, they are not th most cooperative patients. Try your best & let me now if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
i do have amoxicillin 500mg. how would i get him to take the aspirin

Sorry, but my state board prohibits phone calls from this website.

The aspirin can be fed in something very tasty, 1 tablet at a time. The amoxicillin will need to go by treat, too. I would give him 500 mg every 8-12 hours. You can try to dissolve all these medications in fruit juice & see if he will drink this, or try to get it down with a syringe.

Unfortunately, like I said, pigs are not all hat cooperative, so just try your best. A little is better than nothing.

Thank You so very much Im going to try these remedies right now. Again thank you ,you have been very helpful

You are welcome. I truly hope you can get some of this into him. Just keep trying & experimenting with different foods. If nothing else, keeping the foot bandaged will protect the area, & help to draw out any infection.

Good luck.

thank you i'll try and let you know how it goes

Great. Hope he feels better soon.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian