Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a that's lame on his left rear leg. It hurts all the…

Customer Question
I have a bull...

I have a bull that's lame on his left rear leg. It hurts all the way down his leg. His ankle is swollen and very tender. He's been that way for about a month so far.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. only noticeable wound is the swollen ankle

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bull's name and age?

No name. going on 3 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bull's name?

It has no name. It's a Hereford.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bull?

It had been treated for pneumonia at the same time it revealed the sore foot. It occasionally slobbers a bit

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
1/11/2018
Large Animal Vet: Jay Bickers, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Jay Bickers
Jay Bickers, Veterinarian
I am a veterinarian with over 27 years of equine and large animal experience. I will try to help you with with your bulls lameness .
Sounds like you need to call a bovine vet. Need to closely examine the foot and obtain some xrays. He very easily could have an infected joint or infected bone. Please call a vet asap this sounds serious.
I hope this answer has been helpful. Please remember to post a rating. 5 stars would be greatly appreciated
In the case of an infected joint or foot, wouldn't he have a fever? Would you recommend LA 200 or equivalent or an antibiotic?
He very well may have had a fever. But this far down the road the fever is gone but the damage is done. Ive not been real impressed with LA 200 the last several years. You might try something like nuflor will get into bone better. I still strongly recommend getting it xrayed to see what and how bad the problem is. Where are you located? I know a veterinarian in north Texas that has an excellent fairly inexpensive treatment for infected joints. I could put you or your vet in touch with her.