Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 2 week old lamb who suddenly spiked a fever, muscle…

Customer Question
I have a 2...

I have a 2 week old lamb who suddenly spiked a fever, muscle stiffness, slow motor skills. All I have is Penicillin on hand.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the lamb's name?

Nicky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nicky?

She still wants to drink from the bottle, but will still air suckle after I remove the nipple. Like her brain slowed way down

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What is her temperature?

Any head pressing into things, circling in one direction, head tilting or seizures?

Any access to toxins or head trauma?

Any wounds (at the feet or elsewhere)?

104.2. Slight head tilting butnI believe that's more due to the stiffness. She cannot get up on her own, but will stand and stiffly walk if I get her up. No wounds, her umbilical soght does not look red.

Hello again,

Now I am concerned about wee Nicky.

Her signs do raise a few concerns but the main ones are a bacterial meningitis, sepsis (bacteria in the blood stream), or possible tetanus (hopefully less likely with no signs of wounds). Therefore, we do need to be proactive here. We'd want to use the Penicillin now at a dose of 12,000 i.u. - 18,000 i.u. per kilogram of her weight daily. If there is any concern of tetanus here, then antitoxin would also be ideal to use here (though often cost prohibitive). As we do that we'd want to keep her feeding but do so with care as she may aspirate when nursing the bottle and therefore stomach tubing may be safer. As well, if she is recumbent, then we need to deeply bed her, turn her every 4-6 hours, and monitor her to avoid hypothermia. Finally, anti-inflammatories (ie Ketoprofen, Meloxicam, Flunixin) could be used here but at her age with great care (to avoid adverse issues like stomach ulceration).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here and her prognosis is guarded. But we'd absolutely want to start the Penicillin now as it is a good broad spectrum for most of our worries here and will help us give her a chance here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian