Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Goat is bellowing and will not stand. He seems swelled up…

Customer Question
Goat is bellowing and...

Goat is bellowing and will not stand. He seems swelled up and is on a bed of pine shavings outside (zero degrees) in his shelter. Other male goat is standing over him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the goat's name and age?

Oreo is 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oreo?

No previous health problems. He did have a mineral salt block over the weekend.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
1/3/2018
Large Animal Vet: Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian

Good Morning:

So sorry to her about Oreo. Based on your description, Oreo is extremely painful, and this sounds like a medical emergency. A few quick questions: Can you tell if Oreo has urinated recently, such as ant damp spots underneath him where he is laying? Does he seem to be straining at all?

Thanks,

-Dan C., DVM

Saw no evidence of any rear discharge either urine or feces
This is not working out as we have to go up to the barn to take care of Oreo, please cancel any further charges .

There is a very distinct possibility that he is experiencing a urinary blockage. This is very common in male goats, and especially in cold weather, as they don't drink as much water. In many instances, there is a small bladder stone lodged in the tip of the penis, which can be removed by a Veterinarian with the goat under sedation. This is a life threatening situation. I urge you to get a Vet out as soon as possible for Oreo. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to remedy the condition. Hopefully you can get a Vet out ASAP.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

-Dan C., DVM