Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My male goat walks in circles to the left. He has never done…

Hello. My male goat...

Hello. My male goat walks in circles to the left. He has never done this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes. I gave him sugar water last night. He perked up, standing, which he hadn't done in awhile. Someone was caring for them while dealing with family emergency. I noticed they hadn't given them their minerals. His twin sister is fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the goat's name and age?

Clyde. 7 months yesterday. He's a Nigerian dwarf goat mixed with another small goat. Their ears are extremely small

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clyde?

He acted like he couldn't see. Would blink if I put my finger close to his eyes.

1/2/2018
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Thank you

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Clyde's distress. I know this can be disturbing especially because he is so young. These symptoms that you describe can be serious neurologic issues and because of his young age, I would venture a guess that he has had some form of head trauma that could cause these symptoms. There is no over the counter fix for this and only your vet can prescribe steroids that would try to counteract the effects of such trauma.

A bacterial or viral encephalitis can cause these symptoms but only your vet can help with that diagnosis.

This can also be due to a organism called Listeria and also a thiamine deficiency which is vitamin B so these would have to be ruled out. For now, give Clyde a broad spectrum antibiotic, a supplement of Vitamin B and aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease inflammation only if he is still eating. If you do not see any difference within a few days, contact your local vet for an exam.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
My goat somehow got polio & had to be put to sleep.
I am so sorry to hear about Clyde....I am so sorry for your loss but you did everything that you could to help your sweet guy!! My thoughts and prayeRs are with you and your precious Clyde!!
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian