Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have an alpaca with a gooey discharge out her eye and it…

I have an alpaca...

I have an alpaca with a gooey discharge out her eye and it is also causing her to have a runny crusty nose. I at first suspected an allergy to hay but it is now green and thick out of her eye. Thinking conjuctivities? Wondering if she needs an antiobotic in addition toTerramycin ointment?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the alpaca's name and age?

Dolly age 4 or 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dolly?

It is going to be about -15 here this weekend so I worry about her nostrils freezing None of my other 7 have it--she has been fighting this for about 2 -3 weeks. I have been using saline and warm water washes every other day

Answered in 1 hour by:
12/29/2017
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian

Greetings: Sorry to hear about Golly's eye problem. She may need an additional antibiotic along with an eye ointment, although I'd like to ask you a few questions first, so that can be determined.

1): Is Dolly squinting or holding the affected eye closed?

2): Have you been able to examine her eye for the possibility of a foreign body, such as a piece of hay, etc.?

3): Is she rubbing/scratching her eye on anything?

4): Is she eating normally? How is her attitude?

5): Are you able to take her temperature?

Thanks, ***** *****'m looking forward to hearing from you.

=Dan C., DVM

I am attaching a picture from a couple days ago--
1): Is Dolly squinting or holding the affected eye closed? No, She is keeping both eyes open and I don't notice her squinting2): Have you been able to examine her eye for the possibility of a foreign body, such as a piece of hay, etc.? I have examined her eye and washed it out with saline. I don't notice any foreign objects.3): Is she rubbing/scratching her eye on anything? No4): Is she eating normally? How is her attitude? She is acting normal and is eating fine. She is still very sweet and lets me halter her and work with eye (does not like me trying to clean her nose)5): Are you able to take her temperature? No

Thanks for your prompt reply, and the photo tells me a lot!

I was initially concerned about a foreign object or a corneal ulcer, but based on the photo, it's safe to rule those out. As there is sinus involvement, which is apparent by the discharge from her nostril, yes, I would recommend adding antibiotics as well as the Terramyxin for treatment. I would recommend using Procaine Penicillin G (should be available at your feed/supply store) at the dose of 3cc's per 100 pounds twice daily for five day. This can be given under the skin. The Terramycin should be administered 3-4 times daily, and keep administering the ointment for a few days after her eye looks clear, to be on the safe side. (I'm sure she won't appreciate that, but as the eye produces so much fluid on it's own, it is necessary to apply the ointment often). Be sure that there is no cortisone in the eye ointment (most Terramycin does not contain cortisone). If, for any reason her eye seems to be getting worse, I would recommend having her examined by a Veterinarian immediately.

Again, the photo was an immense help. It appears that this is a conjunctivitis, and the bacteria spread into her nasal cavity.

I hope this helps, and answers your question. If you have any more concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

All the best to you and Dolly!

Dan C., DVM-

Do you have any further questions?

Thanks again,

-Dan.

Thank you! I will order the supplies today and start them as soon as they arrive!

You are very welcome. If you get the chance, please let me know how Dolly does.

And Happy New Year too!

Good Morning!

Just checking to see how things are going with Dolly. Hopefully you have received the medications and are able to begin her treatment. I'd love to hear how she is doing.

Also, could you please take the time to rate your experience with me? That way, I can receive credit for the time spent working with you. It would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

-Dan.

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Just received antibiotics today so I will start her today. It is sub zero temps here so I am hoping she can tolerate tge medicine in her eye

Thanks for letting me know! The eye ointment should be fine, just make sure that it's warm before you apply it. It will melt into her eye upon application.

-Dan.