Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

Fainting goat, 14 months old, runny nose and shaking. temp…

Hi, fainting goat, 14...

Hi, fainting goat, 14 months old, runny nose and shaking. temp is -4F. all other goats in heard seem fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the goat's name?

Racer, loves to run

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Racer?

He has been eating well but seems to be losing some weight over the last week down by 6 pounds, but is eating well. using dewormer on regular baisis

Answered in 1 hour by:
12/28/2017
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian

Good Morning.

Sorry to hear about Racer's condition. I'm Dr. Cochren and I'll do all I can to help you and Racer, but first I need to ask you a few questions to better understand what the problem might be.

1): You wrote that his temperature was -4F. Was this a typo? A normal goat's temperature should be around 102F. Did you take his temperature rectally?

2): Have Racer's stools seemed normal (firm and pelleted)?

What type of dewormer have you been using, and how often have you been administering it?

3): How many goats do you have, and what is the living condition like (enclosed pens, stalls, open pasture, etc.)?

4): Which state do you live in?

5): What is the color of the discharge coming from Racer's nose, and is it coming out of both nostrils?

Thanks in advance for your answers, and I'm looking forward to working with you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello doc, I am Geoffout door temp is -4, his rectal temp is unknown, will have to buy a rectal thermomitor next time in town [2 hour drive]stool seems normal, eye color is good, rectum is pink as is his gums.we keep 5 to 10 meat goats, currently have 5, their barn opens to 2 acres of pasture, barn has common area plus stalls.We feed pellet, corn, hay and straw, no changes in feed, plenty of water.we live in eastern Ohio, in the mountainsnose discharge is what has me concerned, clear and coming from both nostrils.dewormer is by safe guard (fenbendazole) we follow directions and give every 60 days, it has been 35 days since last given.As of 10 minuets ago he is still shaking, and nose discharge is still flowing, outside temp has come up to 0 degrees F, he did eat his pellet and corn and currently eating hay. However the other goats are keeping him away from themselves and will not let him approach,thanks geoff

Hi Geoff, and thanks for your thorough reply.

Based on your description of Racer, specifically the weight loss, and as he is a young guy, the first thing I would address is internal parasites. Even though you have been deworming regularly, parasites could still be a problem, for several reasons. Safegard is not as effective as it once was, and we are seeing a lot of parasite resistance to the product. I rarely recommend its use anymore, except in very young goats. The best thing to do, if possible, would be to take a fecal sample to either a large or small animal clinic, and have them evaluate the sample. Also, there is a type of parasite called "Coccidia", that regular dewormers will not take care of, and it is very common in young goats, especially this time of year. The treatment for Coccidia is a product called Corid, and should be available at your local feed/supply store. My recommended treatment with Corid consists of 2.5cc per 50 pounds orally, once daily for seven days. Also, a good dewormer for regular internal (and external!) parasites is called Ivomec Plus, and is a cattle dewormer, but it works well with goats too. It is normally an injectable product, but I use it orally in goats at a dose of one-half cc per fifty pounds orally. Then repeat in ten days. This is double the label dose for cattle, but goats have a different type of metabolism when it comes to dewormers.

It won't hurt Racer to treat him as I've described, but it's best if you can get a fecal analysis (I always like to know what I'm treating). Also, if you can get a thermometer (any digital type will do) and get a rectal temperature, that would help as well, just to rule out him running a fever. As his nasal discharge is clear, it's unlikely that he's experiencing an upper respiratory infection, as with that condition, the discharge is normally green or yellow, and he would probably not have an appetite.

I hope I've been of some help, Geoff, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks, ***** ***** New Year!

-Dan.

Just want to let you know that I'll be away for about an hour. Out to do a farm call.

-Dan.

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian

Hi again, Geoff:

Just checking to be sure that my answers were clear, and to see if you had any further questions.

Thanks again,

-Dan.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dan,
just back from town, gave Racer the Ivomec plus, also gave to all other goats too.
you say to repeat in ten days? would this be just for Racer or all the goats? Due too the New Year I will
wait until Tuesday the 2nd of January to take a fresh stool sample to lab and use the Corid if needed.
I will let you know of the results.
Many Thanks, *****
Geoff

Hi Geoff!

Thanks for getting back to me, and I'm glad to hear you got some Ivomec. Yes, repeat in ten days for all of the goats. The reason for doing so is that the Ivomec kills the adult worms, but not the eggs. As the eggs hatch in about 5-7 days, repeating the dose in ten days kills the juveniles before they can become adults to lay more eggs. This helps to break the cycle.

I hope this helps Racer. If you have the time, let me know what the fecal results are.

Thanks again,

-Dan.

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian