Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

We have a micro pig thats 3 years old,50 pounds got hit by…

We have a micro...

We have a micro pig thats 3 years old,50 pounds got hit by car her rear legs seam to be not functioning she is alert will drink and eat she will sit up but thats it.is this possibly a spinal or hip problem

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the pig's name?

Henry

12/25/2017
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I am so sorry about Henry's accident. Unfortunately, this can be either. A fractured pelvis, or a spinal injury can look about the same, &, it is possible to have both.

Are you able to have Henry seen at an emergency clinic? If not, only time will tell if he will recover function. The most important thing is to keep him well bedded so pressure sores do not develop on his hips.

How else may I help today?

If i grab one foot he will pull back....the other one i can feel muscle trnsion but he eont pull back
We eere not able to get him to vet today...think his vet will be back to office tomorrow

That is great that he pulls the leg back. That makes it much less likely that a severe spinal injury has occurred.

Does he seem at all painful when he moves? Pigs usually squeal with the slightest discomfort. If not, then hopefully he may just be very bruised. But without an x-ray, one cannot say for sure.

Hopefully, his vet can see him tomorrow.

He is not squealing...he seems like himself bit nust not able to get up....eating $drinking...fussed a little when we got home today but think he was just glad to see us...we drove all night to get back home to him...sis eas sitting

I am still pretty concerned that this might be a spinal injury as opposed to a pelvic or hip fracture. So the best thing is to keep him as quiet & well bedded as possible. Call your vet & explain that this is an emergency & you need to have Henry seen tomorrow morning. If there is any swelling around the spinal cord, the sooner steroids are started, the quicker you will hopefully see any recovery. Do not feed Henry after 10 pm tonight just in case he needs a little sedation for his exam & possible x rays tomorrow.

Sounds good...thank yoi for your help

You are very welcome.

Please let me know how it goes with Henry tomorrow.

Take care.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian