Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 5 month old female Boer goat that just came down…

Customer Question
I have a 5...

I have a 5 month old female Boer goat that just came down with diarrhea...she is eating and acting fine...her stools we're fine yesterday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the goat's name?

Callie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Callie?

No. She is a very normal baby goat :)

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
12/17/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What is Callie being fed?

What do her stools look like? Any blood?

Are her inner eyelids pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie moldy feed, toxic plants, chemicals, etc)?

I just bought new feed from Armada..all other goats have eaten it and have no diarrhea.. I checked her temp..it's 102.

Hello again,

Now even if the others aren't reacting to the diet, if it was quickly switching it is possible it has upset the GI microflora key to her digestion. Of course, given her signs, we'd also be wary of a number of other causes like a viral agent, parasites (worms but also protozoa like coccidia, cryptosporidia, giardia, etc), bacterial infections, and toxic exposures (hopefully less likely here).

Now in regards ***** ***** here, you could start by putting her back on the last diet we know worked for her. Otherwise, we'd want to take some steps to reduce the diarrhea itself. To do so, you can increase her dietary fiber, as this will slow diarrhea, absorb fluid, and help try to normalize her feces. Further to this, you can also treat with Kaolin/Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol (1 teaspoon per 20 lbs of body weight every 8 hours) to slow her diarrhea. If you are concerned about dehydration, you can also administer Pedialyte (2 ounces per 25 lbs of body weight eveery 4 hours) to maintain her hydration.And given that we have a diet change, it would also be ideal to use an OTC goat probiotic from the local farm supply shop to just support her normal gut flora and digestion.

Further to symptomatic care, if we find this is lingering for Callie, you may consider having a fecal sample analyzed by your local vet. This can be checked for any parasites present, tested for suspect viruses, and be cultured to identify any bacterial culprits. Depending on the findings, this will tell you what is to blame for her loose stools and thus guide you on how to treat it effectively to clear this for her.

Overall, there are a few causes for Callie's signs we do need to be wary of. Though as there has been a diet chance, supportive care would be indicated at this point to see if we can just support her gut. Of course, if she doesn't settle over the next few days with this, then we'd want to check for those infectious causes and treat them as needed to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.