Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

What would cause a lump and large swelling in doper ewes…

Customer Question
What would cause a lump...
What would cause a lump and large swelling in doper ewes jaw?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
12/11/2017
Large Animal Vet: Scott Perry, Large Animal Vet replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Large Animal Vet

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have a question about what could cause a swelling on your ewe's jaw. Is this swelling hard or soft and is it directly under the jaw or does it appear to be on the left or right side?

We just noticed it today and have not been able to check yet if it is hard or soft.
It is directly under the jaw.

There are a lot of potential causes for this, so some initial diagnostics would be necessary. One of the more common causes is from parasites. Other causes could be from heart inflammation (i.e. pericarditis), chest mass, foreign body / abscess, low protein count, Johne's disease (usually diarrhea is present), liver disease, "Wooden tongue," salivary gland blockage / infection, or Clostridium disease.

In a young ewe, parasites should be ruled out first. Otherwise, a routine blood panel and listening to the heart sounds should give you the rest of the answers you are needing.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is your ewe doing?