Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

Winston, our pig, was attacked by a dog a couple days ago.

Customer Question
Winston, our pig, was...

Winston, our pig, was attacked by a dog a couple days ago. I’ve been treating him myself. He has 2 puncture wounds that are deep. I’ve been treating with hydrogen peroxide. However it’s starting to get a faint foul smell and the skin is turning black. There is no way I can get him to the vet due to the closest vet being to far to travel with him. Is there anything I can do myself?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is, bleeding a lot?

No. He came home and washed the blood off and is hasn’t bleed since.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about,?

No. Just that the wound is a little deep and starting to smell. And the skin is turning black.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
12/10/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian

Hello, this Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would recommend cleaning out the wounds with some dilute betadine solution-- betadine in some water diluted to the color of tea. Flushing the woulds with dilute betadine will hopefully help with the infection. Unfortunately, the black areas have probably devitalized and will eventually die off. There's not a lot you can do to stop that. I would flush the wound twice a day for a week. If he doesn't improve, I would try to get him to the vet for further evaluation. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you could take a minute to give me a positive rating so I can get credit for this question, I would really appreciate it. Best of luck with everything!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

schmidt400
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian