Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a fixed billy goat,, was healthy no problems,, hubby…

Customer Question
i have a fixed billy...
i have a fixed billy goat,, was healthy no problems,, hubby was in hospital i was feeding and running back n forth hospital,, realized he had a mass on side of face,,, now it went through lower jaw to front of mouth swelled 5 loose teeth,,, any clue to what this may be,, ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
12/10/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian

Hi Alicia: Based on your description of Billy Goat's condition, it sounds as if the teeth were the initial problem. The bad teeth most likely caused the abscess (abscesses can appear overnight). Did the Veterinarian attempt to drain the lump on the face? You mentioned that only blood was noted from the growth, but was this done with a needle or was a scalpel blade used to get an effective opening? If this is an abscess (and I believe it most likely is), antibiotics will not help much unless the abscess is thoroughly opened, drained and flushed with an antiseptic solution such as Betadine. Also, it sounds as if the teeth will need to be removed as well, as they are the likely cause of the abscess.

Please let me know how it was initially handled by your Vet.

Many thanks,

-Dan C., DVM

My vet said broken jaw...I'm not falling for this..one..

So you don't believe that your goat's jaw is broken?

No..and there was no x-ray..
Is there a way I can send you a couple pics

Did your Vet open the swelling thoroughly?

There should be an icon available to attach photos.

She didn't do anything looked and gave shot

You noted that it was the lower jaw. If it is fractured, you should be able to readily feel the fracture by holding the lower jaw and moving it between your hands, if Billy Goat will permit it and it is not too painful.

Did you get the 2pics

I feel sorry for both you and your goat! Is there any way that you can get him seen by another Vet? From your descriptions, he definitely needs some help!

No, I didn't receive any photos.

I had a couple of my fingers inside of mouth doesn't seem broke

That can be a tough call, depending on the type of fracture. There is a possibility that it is an older fracture, initially resulting in the loose teeth, which became infected and resulted in the abscess. I strongly recommend that you have him seen by a different Vet. Are you close to any Veterinary Teaching Hospitals or large animal clinics?

Unfortunately, Alicia, this is not a condition that you can handle on your own, nor is it something that I can give you advice online as to how to treat it. His problem needs to be managed by a Veterinarian, where the problem can be stabilized to the point where you can continue to treat him on your own (and even that can be difficult if you are treating him by yourself). My suggestion for you is to get in touch with another Vet (it's obvious that the first Vet you had out was not even close to thorough) or find a way to get him into a clinic where the problem can be managed properly.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dan C., DVM

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian