Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 9 pound mini pig either has staph or strep that he has…

Customer Question
Hi there. My...

Hi there. My 9 pound mini pig either has staph or strep that he has given me. I am currently being treated. Are both staph and strep treatable by PN that I can get from TS?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the pig?

He had sarcoptic mange a month ago. We treated him with 3 rounds of ivermec. He stopped itching but is still red and flaky. He coughs occasionally, but no fever or other symptoms other than outward symptoms. Whatever he has given me of the two must be treated. My doctor said my reaction was most likely staph, but I know that strep is common in these piggies too and can be lethal for humans.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the pig's name and age?

Gilbert. 6 months

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
11/26/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

With regards ***** ***** question, the majority of Staphylococcus and Streptococcus infections are Penicillin sensitive. Therefore, it is a reasonable antibiotic to use in this case. That said, if you have any issues with your infection or any signs Gilbert may have don't respond to Penicillin, then we'd be concerned of strain resistance to Penicillin. And in that case, you can have your vet swab him (or your doctor swab you), for bacterial culture and sensitivity. This will tell us which is present, what species, and the sensitivity testing will tell us what drugs its vulnerable to and that will allow you both to be changed to an effective antibiotic should this happen to be a Penicillin resistant strain.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Is there a certain brand and dosage? I will be getting from a Tractor supply. I am on both doxycycline and Amoxil, do I think I am covered.

Hello again,

Usually we'd use Procaine Penicillin G at a dose of Give 6,000 IU per Kg of body weight. Though for severe infections, we can use 12,000 IU -18,000 IU per Kg for serious infection. That dose would then be divided by the IU/ml strength of the preparation you buy (there are a variety) to give you a millilitre dose. For you, that does sound like a reasonable coverage there, but again we do sometimes see resistance to even a broad coverage. So, if you don't respond to treatment discuss culturing it with your doctor to be safe.

Dr. B.

Okay.. this is what I have durvet penicillin 300,000 units/ml he weighs 10 lbs
Hi again,
If he is that small, it'd be easiest to give 0.1ml of that preparation daily.
Best wishes,
Dr. B.
I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )*
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian