Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Just lost a perfectly healthy young, 10 months old, that was…

Customer Question
Just lost a perfectly...

Just lost a perfectly healthy young bull, 10 months old, that was just fine, no signs of distress or illness yesterday evening. Has been eating well, a ration of 12% protein and 5% fat and a large amount of cottonseed hulls for fiber. Have been using this feed for 3 yrs and have had no problem before. The bulls are being conditioned for sale in the spring. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the bull's name?

Universal 7026--Angus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bull?

Nothing unusual. He is in a pasture with 14 other bulls of the same age. Being fed approx. 12# ***** day, once a day. Also has free choice salt and minerals. Minerals are in a lick tub with additional protein and fat.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
This is not a dog, it is a bovine, a bull.
11/25/2017
Large Animal Vet: Scott Perry, Large Animal Vet replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Large Animal Vet

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you recently lost a bull that appeared perfectly healthy. I just want to be clear, was there any abdominal distention that you observed prior to death? Obstruction/abscess could cause this. Another big differential is vagal indigestion. Typically they "bloat" and have a distended abdomen then they start to regurgitate. Usually they do not have active rumen sounds. A stomach tube would help to diagnose this. If there is a lot of foam on the stomach tube and he is distended then it is probably vagal indigestion. Other diagnostics you could do would be a to have a blood test performed to see if any indication of peritonitis/infection/abscess is present, although you may not see changes if just a small abscess is in rumen. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!