Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

We have a 700kg young how has just broken his leg just above…

Customer Question
We have a 700kg...

We have a 700kg young bull how has just broken his leg just above the ankle, are there any options you are aware of to splint and treat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bull's name and age?

Name is ***** ***** years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Grove?

Not thats relevant I think

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Unfortunately with this type of injury can be really difficult due to the weight of the animal. Splinting and casting can sometimes work, but that treatment can come with lots of complications and the end result is a failure of healing

Surgery is an option in some cases depending on how bad the break is on X-ray but a specialist veterinarian would need to evaluate Grove to see if this is an option.

Sometimes amputations can work with prosthetics but once again a specialist needs to evaluate X-rays and Grove specifically to see if he is a candidate for this.

The issue when cattle break legs is their weight. It makes treatment very difficult and most commonly results in the animal having to be euthanized due to poor prognosis and poor quality of life.

Do you have a large animal veterinarian who can come X-ray is leg so they can see how bad this injury is and if he is a candidate to undergo surgery or other therapies ?

That would be the best recommendation I can Make with the information I have about Grove.

Good luck with Grove I hope it works out and that he is a candidate for a repair to be attempted

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.