Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a Large Animal Vet and Get Answers to Your Questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

Large Animal Veterinary

I have a first time ewe that lambed twins with not much for

Customer Question
a bag. She has some...
I have a first time ewe that lambed twins with not much for a bag. She has some milk, hard to get out. I know lambs are not getting enough. What can I do to increase her milk production.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the ewe?
Customer: She eats good, good condition, just no milk. Has vaccinations and dewormed. Ewe is alert and trying to be good mom. Babies always hungry and I do not get milk from teats, ewe bag very small. Not hard or hot. How can I increase
JA: Where does the ewe seem to hurt?
Customer: Ewe not hurt, just no milk
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the ewe's name and age?
Customer: Number 8 age almost 2 years. First time mother, twins, no milk. Good condition
JA: What is the ewe's name?
Customer: Number 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the ewe?
Customer: How can I increase milk?
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
11/17/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long since she delivered them?

When you do express the milk, what does it look like?

Any odor from the milk, pus, fever or pain?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Delivered two days ago, no heat, bag not hard, no odor, milk white. Milk looks normal. Bag soft. Ewe has no fever. Lost one lamb. Lamb not filling out always nursing.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
What can I do to increase ewe milk production?
Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 28 days ago

Hello again,

First, if it has only been 48 hours, its important to be aware that milk production comes on over a 24-72 hour period after birth. So, she can still naturally increase from her current production at this stage. Furthermore, the first 24-48 hours will be colostrum (less in volume but thicker and key for their immune system) which can look to be a lesser volume for feeding her wee ones. Otherwise, our mainstay here is really ensuring mum has proper nutritional and fluid inputs. Especially since the most common reason for poor milk production is inadequate feed/poor diets and/or reduced fluid intake. So, do evaluate what she is being fed and consider increasing her roughage/hay as the fat will help promote her production. As well, double check she is drinking adequately +/- supplement her with electrolytes. Further to this, hand milking her can help stimulate production (ideal if her lambs hadn't been adequate nursing/stimulating her). Of course, if you hand milk it will give you some milk to hand fee as needed. With regards ***** ***** treatments, we are limited but Oxytocin will work to "let down" her milk and help with us working to get her to produce more. Furthermore, B vitamins like Biotin have been shown to boost lactation (researchers use 20 mg/d biotin) or even a low dose of Rumensin (though use of this would be off label and may not be practical if she is a production animal as opposed to a pet). And we usually would consider supplementing the kids with a lamb specific replacer while using these to see if we can boost production (as otherwise if she doesn't respond to treatment, we'd need to consider culling and not rebreeding for risk of this being genetic in nature).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Large Animal Vet: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 26 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian