Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My daughter is raising a goat for her 4h class in high

My daughter is raising...

My daughter is raising a goat for her 4h class in high school and he seems to be constipated, bloated, not wanting to move

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the goat's name and age?

Sterling and we were never told his age. We got him a couple of months ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sterling?

I cant even begin to guess his age. I do know that he weighs 85 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sterling?

NO, he has been healthy and active until today

11/17/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Can Sterling pass urine?

When did he last pass stool?

Any straining to pass either?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie, plants, chemicals, etc)?

He is no longer constipated. His problem now is some sort of blockage in his urine. He is passing urine slowly and goes every 30-40 seconds.
I bought ammonium chloride but I’m not sure how much to give him and how often for how long. He is 86lbs

Oh dear,

I was hoping you weren't going to say that about Sterling, as that was my concern as soon as I read your history. And it goes without saying that his urinary signs are a real worry here.

Now as its a partial blockage its a tiny bit less of an emergency that a full blockage would be (which leads to risk of bladder rupture but also urinary toxins leaking into the blood to cause collapse, slowed heart rate and death) but it is still very serious since those toxins can still build up and partial blockages can become full ones as the local tissue inflames. These risks are so significant that I cannot advise you to just use the ammonium chloride. That is better as a longer term preventative not an active treatment. This is because it works to adjust urine pH to prevent/dissolve stones but if we have one partially lodged in the urethra its not going to be overly helpful here and we could suffer his loss before it could dissolve the stone as he urinates past it. Therefore, you can plan to use it (0.50% preparation would be dosed as ½ tsp (2.24 gram) daily) but really we need the local vet out to him now. We need them removing that stone (sometimes it can just be pushed into the bladder by catheter to give the ammonium chloride a chance to do its job) +/- starting a goat safe anti-inflammatory (which we'd need to use as we unblock since we don't want to risk kidney harm if otherwise). If we can do that +/- give fluids we can then use the ammonium chloride to prevent this happening again for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
I took him to a vet and they did X-rays and didn’t see any stones but couldn’t gaurantee that there was not a stone hidden near or behind the rumen that the image didn’t capture. They advised that I continue the AC for a week and take him back if not better. Thankfully he is back to normal. Thank you for your advice and feedback!