Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

My male Pygmy goat hurt his back leg yesterday. He got it…

My male Pygmy goat hurt...
My male Pygmy goat hurt his back leg yesterday. He got it stuck in a pallet for a while. He can’t stand on his own. I’ve checked his leg for movement and it all seems intact and he doesn’t cry out when i touch it he will pull it back though like it hurts. He’s eating where he lays. Should i wait it out a while longer or what?
11/15/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to tread with care here for Groot if he is down from this injury. If we can assume there has been no fracture, no wounds (so we can exclude tetanus, abscesses, etc) and he has movement (suggesting spinal/nerve damage is less likely); then we be most wary of severe muscle strain/sprain or tendon damage. With those in mind, we'd want him rested in a small, deeply bedded pen. Furthermore, since he is eating, we'd really want him on an anti-inflammatory (ie Fluxinixin/Banamine - 1 cc per 100 lbs IM daily) to reduce pain but also inflammation so we can get him up and mobile quicker. Of course, if we were to use that (+/- warm compressing) and didn't see him regain some use of the leg within 24 hours, we'd need him seen by his vet to make sure we don't have a dislocation or fracture that needs to be addressed here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok that’s what i was thinking. He’s scheduled for a vet on Friday if he doesn’t get better. Where can i get the inflammation medicine?

Hello again,

I do think that is best for Groot. With regards ***** ***** the anti-inflammatories, some farm supply stores will carry it, else you'd need to ring your vet to dispense it for you.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If i do find the medicine is it applied to the back of a he neck like like most injections.

Hello again,

You will just need to read the label (as some preparations vary) but generally speaking Flunixin goes into the muscle therefore we tend to administer into the rump or neck.

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hi Dylan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Groot. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian