Large Animal Veterinary

Ask a large animal vet and get answers to your questions ASAP

Ask a Veterinarian,

One of my ewes got into a tug of war with her right front…

Customer Question
One of my ewes...

One of my ewes got into a tug of war with her right front leg and a coyote. Now the leg just hangs and drags when she tries to walk. The shoulder looks sunk in and low. Dislocated? Is there anything we can do? Our local large animal vets (2 different clinics) are discouraging us from bringing her in (cost prohibitive, unsure outcome etc). Is she a lost cause? I hate to give up on her. She was a bottle baby (p ,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

The foot is ok. She leans down on that side. Probably 4" or so draging.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the ewe's name and age?

Babydouex (Babydoe). She's 5years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Babydouex?

5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Babydouex?

I don't know. She's pretty gentle for a sheep; I can touch her easily. She lets me feel the leg until I get up to the shoulder. The lower part of her leg has some swelling (where the coyote had her) but the bones feel ok.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Large Animal Veterinary
11/7/2017
Large Animal Vet: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am very sorry for the injury Babydouex suffered. This is a significant one. The biggest problem is how to maintain her, even if the leg is repairable. How long can she bear all her front end weight on the one good front leg before it begins to give out?

I would suspect that either the shoulder was dislocated, or there was significant tearing of the nerves & ligaments supporting the shoulder joint. Either injury would be serious for anyone.

You can stall her in very deep bedding, & at some point the shoulder will heal, but it will never be normal without surgery. You can try, & if you do, I would talk with your vets about either anti-inflammatory medications, or at the very least, pain medications.

If she was anything other than a pet, I would recommend humane euthanasia. But, you can certainly try. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I will try to help as much as possible, but this is a tough one.

Thank you.

Hello, I see you have viewed my response & wondering if you have any additional questions or concerns. If I was at all helpful, please consider rating my answer as this is the only manner in which I can receive credit for my concerns for Babydouex. I would greatly appreciate this.

Thank you & I hope Babydouex is able to heal from her injuries.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian